Q re dhcpd.conf setup

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Apr 26 15:37:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:05:15AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> It was given an dhcp
> address according to the logs on the firewall box, but apparently not a
> gateway address.
>
> Should the dhcpd protocol have handled that?

Yes, it should and it does.

> It is not setup in the dhcpd.conf I'm using,

In such case clients, obviously enough, are not getting that
information too.

Look at 'man dhcpd.conf' and there is an example there which starts
with:

      subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
         option routers 10.0.0.254;  <--- this is your gateway address

Name servers and ntpd servers and various others things can be
specified there too.

It is true that dhcpd documentation could be really better, and one
often has to rely on various examples to figure our how to set up
things, but this has nothing to do with legacy issues so this looks
like a really wrong list for questions of that sort.

   Michal