x86_64 support

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Feb 8 16:34:56 UTC 2006

Hi,

There was some discussion this in bugzilla under the kernel bug, so
bringing it up for wider comments.

FC1, FC2, and FC3 have supported both x86 and x86_64.  (FC4 has added
ppc to the mix as well.)  Fedora Legacy has only supported x86, but
there has been discussion of extending this to x86_64.

So, given that we're currently already supporting 5 different
versions,

1) Should we start supporting all the architectures for previous
    releases (FC1, FC2) where we didn't from day zero ?
2) Should we support new architectures for new releases (FC3, FC4,
    ..)?

My personal take would be, 1) NO, 2) Hopefully not.  The reasons are
simple: we don't do a very good job as it is, and adding even more
versions to build and potentially test at VERIFY stage would strain
this even more.  Especially as many of the latest bugs seem 64-bit
specific: especially for 1), we'd need to go back and check every
package to make sure we didn't miss any 64-bit specific update.

I'd like to pose the question as follows:  is there anyone out there
who would want FL to support either past, present or future non-x86
arches who is willing to commit to doing serious help?