x86_64 support

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 8 17:07:34 UTC 2006

Quoting Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi>:

> FC1, FC2, and FC3 have supported both x86 and x86_64.  (FC4 has added
> ppc to the mix as well.)  Fedora Legacy has only supported x86, but
> there has been discussion of extending this to x86_64.

My understanding is it _will_ be added, as soon as the build system
supports it.

> So, given that we're currently already supporting 5 different versions,
>
> 1) Should we start supporting all the architectures for previous
>    releases (FC1, FC2) where we didn't from day zero ?
> 2) Should we support new architectures for new releases (FC3, FC4,
>    ..)?

For 1) I don't care.
For 2) Definately.

> My personal take would be, 1) NO, 2) Hopefully not.  The reasons are
> simple: we don't do a very good job as it is, and adding even more
> versions to build and potentially test at VERIFY stage would strain
> this even more.

And not supporting what is sure to be a huge user base of 64-bit users
will only drain the project of volunteers even more.

I have access to 1 and only one FC machine.  It is FC3 and it is x64.
I've been waiting until we take over FC3 x64 so I can help.  If we don't
take that over, then I will not help with FC releases.

> Especially as many of the latest bugs seem 64-bit
> specific: especially for 1), we'd need to go back and check every
> package to make sure we didn't miss any 64-bit specific update.

That is why I'm okay with not supporting the older FC releases in x64.
But the new ones, I say we should do it.

> I'd like to pose the question as follows:  is there anyone out there
> who would want FL to support either past, present or future non-x86
> arches who is willing to commit to doing serious help?

Yes, for future releases.

> --

Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics