crazy thought about how to ease QA testing

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Feb 10 15:54:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Jesse Keating wrote:
> So I'm kicking around this idea to help w/ QA testing.  What if Fedora
> Legacy provided very base images of the releases we support for use with
> vmplayer?  Vmplayer is free, and from the base image a QA tester could
> update to the package we need QA on, use the package in various ways,
> and report how it worked out.   No need to have a full system of that
> release, no bad effects to your running system, just a nice test
> environment to run a few smoke tests on it.

This could reduce the amount of folks saying "but I don't even have
[distro] in question!" but I fear it would morph into "so, why exactly
should I bother installing a vmplay of [distro]?"

For the already hardcore-QA'ers (very few in number), this could help,
but I think the root problem is that there isn't enough help even for
the FL distro versions that the people are actually running.

So, instead of adding more hoops ("please, install a virtual image of
all the other distros and do verify testing etc. there"), most focus
should be put on making participation easier.