crazy thought about how to ease QA testing

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 10 17:39:45 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 17:54 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
>>So, instead of adding more hoops ("please, install a virtual image of
>>all the other distros and do verify testing etc. there"), most focus
>>should be put on making participation easier.
>

> I am trying to make it easier.  I'm trying to make it so that people
> don't have to use their production systems as package fodder for our QA

That's the primary reason I haven't volunteered for testing for FC2.
I have an FC2 machine which I don't want to clobber. Isn't that
the *reason* Legacy exists? We don't want to clobber our machines.

> process.  I'm trying to make it so that those that really care about one
> release and do the work for one release can easily do the work for
> another release w/out having to support yet another system.  Just run a
> program anywhere that is convenient.
>
> I am really opposed to any kind of automated testing that boils down to
> 'it installed here, guess it is good to go'.  I want human interaction
> on the packages, so I'm trying to make that human interaction easier.

Engineer: Look, it booted, and the "In Service" light turned green!
Manager:  Ship it!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.