no mandatory QA testing at all [Re: crazy thought about how to ease QA testing]

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 14 21:09:07 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 02:20 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>Seems to be a misunderstanding here. There are separate repositories
>>for
>>testing and general legacy updates. Yes?
>>

> He is speaking in virtual terms.  Since we would introduce a timeout, he

I was speaking in logical terms, not physical terms.

> is afraid that the quality of packages coming into released will be
> lower than it is right now, and be considered "testing" packages.

"Afraid" is a strong term, and not one I would use to describe
my emotional state.

> IMHO the quality of packages hitting updates-testing is pretty on par
> with the quality of packages hitting Fedora updates.  So I'm not so sure
> what the problem is here.

Your opinion, in regards to what gets put on my machine, does not
carry much weight.

I have been apalled at what generally passes as QA in the
"Linux Community" generally, and FC specifically. Since I
barely tolerate what exists now, it is difficult to contemplate
someone considering even more laxity saying "I'm not so sure
what the problem is here." I am astounded, amazed, and shocked.

I generally don't speak my mind so openly, because people
in the "Linux Community" seem to think that SEI "chaotic"
processes for software development are the best thing since
sliced bread, and I don't want to start a flame war. But in
this particular instance, QA is the actual topic of discussion,
so it's difficult to negotiate the path between stating what
is obvious to anyone who has been in any industry where real
QA was an important topic, and user's control over what is on
their machines was likewise important, and being careful
not to step on the feelings of others.

Availability and reliability are not terms I even ever see
used among those in the "Linux Community", let alone actually
measured. And I've never seen a new version of Linux come out
with a "back out" procedure associated.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.