FC3 yum instructions

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 22 16:21:00 UTC 2006

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 21:49 -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>> Fedora itself does not do it this way.  I'd rather we didn't either.
>> I do recognize that the other Fedora Community Projects do, but I don't
>> consider us to be the same level as most of them.
>
> We're considering doing away with the fedora.redhat.com website.  1) It
> ties Fedora uneccessarily to Red Hat, 2) it takes a lot of effort to
> change something there.

This has not that much to do with web vs wiki.  It is really just a management
or hosting issue.  You can change the DNS and #1 goes away.  You can
change how things are updated and #2 goes away.  Neither in anyway means
one should use wiki over traditional web.

> With the new content management stuff going
> online for fedoraproject.org we may see fedora.redhat.com become just a
> link to this.  Still being discussed AFAIK.

If the goal is to move all projects fully to the fedoralegacy.org wiki,
then fine.  But no one has told me yet that such a goal exists.

> I'm working on getting us to the level that Extras is.

I'm not really familiar with Extras, so that doesn't help me much.
My impression from others talking about it is that they are not at
a very high level, but that impression could be totally incorrect as
it is based on second hand reports only.

> We now are a
> true subproject, I chair the project to the Fedora Foundation / board,
> same way that Extras is.  We're getting closer to using Fedora CVS for
> our sources, and using a build system like Fedora Extras.  What else
> keeps us from being of the same level?

That all sounds good.  But that really isn't what I meant when I was
talking about levels.

Personally I don't find the wiki to inspire professionalism or
confidence in the projects, and if you are expecting to draw users
to _use_ your packages you want to project professionalism and
give a sense of confidence.  Now, maybe if you want to draw people
into _contribute_ a wiki might help by making it a bit easier for
(mostly minor) contributions.  But it also makes it harder to maintain
the integrity of the site.  There are trade offs both ways...

I guess the question is what is the goal here. Is it:

1) To consolidate all the projects in one place?
2) To make it easier to use/contribute/maintain?
3) To attract new people to the project?
4) To change for the sake of change?
5) Some other reason or reasons?

--
Eric Rostetter