Contributor License Agreement (CLA)?, Re: Wiki page updated

David Eisenstein deisenst at gtw.net
Sat Jan 21 05:07:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Hi
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legacy/
>
> I have improved the content as well as look and feel of the wiki page to
> match other project pages within our Fedora Project wiki.

Yes, the page looks a lot nicer.  It looks like a lot of hard work went
into it, and it shows.

> I have also
> included the information that Fedora Legacy is now a official Fedora
> Project supported by the Fedora Foundation.

Good.  I have a question.  No one has said anything about the process of
signing up with the Fedora Project.  I just discovered that process last
night on IRC, at the suggestion of <nman64> (Patrick Barnes) that in order
to officially be a contributor to the Fedora Project, and to gain
necessary privileges to help me carry out the work for the Fedora project
(in my case, Bugzilla privileges), I needed to apply at
	<https://admin.fedora.redhat.com/accounts/>
get a Fedora Contributor account and (electronically) sign a Contributor
License Agreement (CLA), among other things.

Is this something that everyone who contributes to Fedora Legacy will be
required to do, especially now that Fedora Legacy is officially part of
the Fedora Foundation?  If so, does that need to be documented in the
Fedora Legacy Wiki?

I, for one, feel a bit relieved at being given the opportunity to sign a
Contributor License Agreement -- because I have been a little bit
concerned for awhile just who might be considered liable if someone used a
Legacy package, felt the package damaged their machine or their business
and decided to sue.  The CLA (a copy of which is attached) makes it clear
that I as a contributor am releasing the work that I do with NO WARRANTEE
WHATSOEVER, and that this is my understanding -- that I am not offering
any kind of guarantee that my work will work in all circumstances or won't
cause hair to grow on some server's CPU.

(For those who are wondering, docs about signing on to the Fedora Account
System are at:
	<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem>.)

> I have clarified some
> terminology in the pages. As an example of these, Fedora Project in
> general has avoiding using the term "support" in any our webpages or
> documentation to avoid the confusion with commercial support services
> and SLA's.

I am assuming then that the Fedora Foundation then officially leaves
commercial support services and SLA's (Service Level Agreements?) to
Red Hat, right?

Are there other examples of good terminology that keep Fedora Legacy's
goals and verbiage in line with the Foundation's?  On the wiki or
something?

> I have replaced them with maintenance or updates as
> appopriate. Also I have replaced the misleading term "End Of Release
> (EOL)" with maintenace mode as indicated by Jesse Keating in his earlier
> mail to the list.

I agree.  We shouldn't use the term "EOL" until a given product is
actually no longer supported by anybody.

> I have copied over and clarified the FAQ from
> http://fedoralegacy.org/faq into
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legacy/FAQ.

Great work, Rahul.  Looks good!

> Information on the security
> procedures from the legacy site has also been copied over into the wiki
> in anticipation of the depreciation of http://fedoralegacy.org in favor
> of adding information to the primary Fedora Project website at
> http://fedoraproject.org. Comments and feedback is most welcome.

Rahul, you removed text mentioning what distributions of RHL and Fedora
Core that Legacy supports off of the main page at
<http://fedoralegacy.org/wiki/Legacy>.  It seems to me it would be good to
let that remain there, even if that is a question answered in our FAQ.

If I think of other comments, will write more.  Thanks again, Rahul.  And
thanks for posting to us that you did so, and for joining our list!

	Warm regards,

	David Eisenstein