X-Chat 2.4.0 to 2.6

Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net d.terweij at nettuning.net
Fri Mar 10 15:37:58 UTC 2006

From: "Mike McCarty" <Mike.McCarty at NOSPAMsbcglobal.net>

> >>Probably not.  legacy updates is for security and critical bug fixes
only.
> > Hmm that sucks.
> That's the mission. You *did* read the mission statement, didn't you?

Nope. I dont like reading :P

> > Not 1 of all the FC3 repo's providing a new version. I use RH since 5.0.
But
> > sinds Fedora i dislike it more and more.
> >
> > Are there here people that wants create a *real* legacy-updates repo for
NEW
> > versions?

> Isn't that what FC4 is supposed to be?

Where it ends? FC is not a good choice for production. Linux is stable,
linux dont have to reboot much. Linux can run for years without a reboot. I
do not want to upgrade my production machines every 6 months because FC has
a new version.
Those new versions holds new versions of software. Why  cant they build one
FC and update/upgrade just the installed versions?
And as stated a lot in discussions lists/fora's, upgrading FC versions is
not always without errors.

> > I suggest to rename the current legacy-updates to legacy-security or
> > something like that.
> > legacy-updates sounds like just updates of new versions to me like the
> > normal repo's also is doing rather then security shit..

> This has been gone over many times, here. I suggest you actually go
> and read the mission statement.

You think every "user" reading that?
Here a practical "user" example:
- Hmm no more updates when  i do yum update
- lets google
- hey a new repo called legacy..
- Ah here i found how to add it to my yum
- Nice i get updates again
But actualy it are not updates, but fixes/patches.
-After some time, he finds out that newer versions are not delivered.
-Finds alternate repos like atrpms dag dries livna etc...
-doing yum update, "oh look again new versions :)"

This is a real example how most of the linux users are doing without read
any statement text. Because its not intresting to read :)

Danny