docbook format Q

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) nils at lemonbit.nl
Mon Mar 20 11:32:40 UTC 2006

Op 20-mrt-2006, om 4:53 heeft Gene Heskett het volgende geschreven:

> I just installed kleansweep from the tarball, but have found that its
> docs are in a compressed docbook format.
>
> I asked once before how does one go about viewing such files, and was
> chide for not reading the fine manual.  Well, thats fine, but as
> far as
> I know, there isn't a manpage for docbook.
>
> My /usr/bin does contain a no doubt usefull collection of
> docbook2whatever file formaters but not a recognizable reader in the
> image of the simple 'man filename'.
>
> So how does one go about actually viewing a *.docbook file?

Docbook (as I understand it, I've never used it) is not a viewable
format. It's a format from which you can generate viewable formats
(HTML, PDF, txt, etc.). You'd have to dig around to find the right
command to convert a docbook file into the format of your choice. Or
maybe ask the kleansweep people why they don't ship viewable
documentation. Or maybe they can tell you what to do.

Nils Breunese.

P.S. This is probably not the right list for this question.