1-2-3 out, time for FC2?

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) nils at lemonbit.nl
Wed Mar 22 07:32:44 UTC 2006

Nigel Henry wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 23:34, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet)
> wrote:
>> Why don't you update to a newer Fedora Core release?
>
> Hi Nils. Personally I take offense at someone telling me to get a
> better
> distro. I see this a lot on forums. Someone asking a question to
> solve a
> problem, and some idiot replying back with, "upgrade" why don't you
> "upgrade".

I'm not telling you to get a 'better distro' or to upgrade. I was
just asking myself why you don't upgrade. There can be good reasons
for that. On the other hand I wish people would stop complaining
about not getting any upgrades anymore (I'm talking about people in
general) when Fedora clearly states it has a short lifecycle. Fedora
is for running the latest and greatest and Fedora Legacy is here to
help people out a little longer after Red Hat stops releasing updates.

> Incidentally there are still folks out there using MS DOS, and
> Win95, even
> though that is no longer supported. They are happy with it, and I
> hope have
> sufficient 3rd party security in place, but it's their choice, and
> no one
> should be forcing them to change.

Nobody is forcing them or FC1/FC2 users to change their OS.

> I'm only a home user, so perhaps am not so concerned as someone
> using FC1, FC2
> in the corporate environment, but am sure that there are a certain
> number of
> Linux IT guys and gals out there who are quite capable of sorting out
> security fixes for FC1, and 2 if and when they are dropped by
> Fedora Legacy.

Sure. But why don't they step in and join Fedora Legacy now? If there
would a lot of community involvement maybe FL could support releases
longer.

Nils.