1-2-3 out, time for FC2?

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) nils at lemonbit.nl
Wed Mar 22 16:02:35 UTC 2006

James Kosin wrote:

> My reasons:
> (1)   Device driver for my Digi card is not supported by the newer
> kernels.
> (2)   It took me weeks to setup everything originally, and I don't
> want to take weeks more if something goes wrong.
> (3)   It actually works (FC1 that is)... I haven't had any problems
> with DNS, etc on the unit.  Knock on wood.
> (4)   I've learned a lot about RPM packages since the move to FL.
> That has to count for something....  If I stayed with the most
> current, I would have never learned how to build my own samba
> packages, httpd packages, install and maintain my own ClamAV
> packages.  Actually learn a painful lesson why they don't update
> perl very often, etc.  I could go on and on about this point.

I upgraded my workstation from FC1 all the way to FC5 last monday
every time a new release came out without a lot of problems (I think
all my problems would've been non-existent if I had waited until the
3rd party repo's I use also built their stuff for FC5). It is nice
that you learned about building rpms and that your machine just
works. But apart from the driver for your card it really shouldn't be
a problem for you to upgrade, right? Upgrading generally doesn't
destroy your setup, so it shouldn't take weeks to be up and running
again. Maybe a day. Of course, YMMV.

I just think it would be interesting (for Fedora Legacy) to have some
sort of idea of why people are running legacy versions of Red Hat and
Fedora, so FL knows 'who they are doing it for'. My guess is that
it's mostly people that have used Fedora Core for live servers that
they don't want to upgrade (people that maybe should've gotten
another distro, in my opinion) and there's people like James Kosin
that won't upgrade because of things like driver/kernel issues. Now,
I'm just on this list because I have a couple of FC2 and FC3 servers
(yes, they shouldn't be running FC, but I didn't install them) and I
want to keep myself updated on the status of the project that keeps
those boxes safe on the internet. The minute FL is no longer able to
deliver patched versions fast enough I will have my servers
reinstalled with something like CentOS. And I'll just keep updating
my workstation to the latest and greatest Fedora every release. :o)

Nils.