New sendmail and missing /usr/lib/sendmail

Michael Mansour mic at npgx.com.au
Fri Mar 24 22:21:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

> On Friday 24 March 2006 12:54, David Eisner wrote:
>
> > Just a heads up: after installing the
> > sendmail-8.12.11-4.24.1.legacy package on a RH9 machine today, I
> > noticed /usr/lib/sendmail was gone. This will break anything
> > that's expecting it to be there.
> >
> > In my case, symlinking  /usr/lib/sendmail --> /usr/sbin/sendmail
> > fixed the problem.
> >
> > -David
> >

> There is instead an entry in /usr/lib;  "sendmail.sendmail"  which
> is linked to /usr/sbin/sendmail.  Also the man pages no longer work
> if you type; "man sendmail"  You have to use "man
> sendmail.sendmail".

That goes for FC1 also. "man sendmail" doesn't work, "man sendmail.sendmail"
works.

The first time I re-ran it also (I use MailScanner with sendmail in queue mode):

# service MailScanner restart
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
Starting MailScanner daemons:
         incoming sendmail: m4: m4: No such file or directory
*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
*** ERROR: MAILER(local) already included
*** ERROR: MAILER(smtp) already included
                                                           [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]

The next and consecutive times I re-ran it, this error went away.

Regards,

Michael.