New sendmail and missing /usr/lib/sendmail

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Mar 24 22:48:56 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:21:15AM +1000, Michael Mansour wrote:
> > On Friday 24 March 2006 12:54, David Eisner wrote:
> >
> > There is instead an entry in /usr/lib;  "sendmail.sendmail"  which
> > is linked to /usr/sbin/sendmail.  Also the man pages no longer work
> > if you type; "man sendmail"  You have to use "man
> > sendmail.sendmail".
>
> That goes for FC1 also. "man sendmail" doesn't work, "man sendmail.sendmail"
> works.

/usr/sbin/alternatives was supposed to take care of that.  If you
will do 'rpm -q --scripts sendmail' then you should see, among other
things,  something of that sort:

  /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta \
		/usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail 90 \
        --slave /usr/bin/mailq mta-mailq /usr/bin/mailq.sendmail \
        --slave ( ... and so on, and so on ....)

Apparently something is not right here.  Check with what you ended
up in /etc/alternatives/ (should be a bunch of symlinks there and
things like /usr/lib/sendmail, or correspoding manpages, are links
to these).  As a workaround you can add for now missing symlinks by
yourself; or you can try to rerun that part of an installation
script and see if this will create all links you need.

I am not sure in which distro /usr/sbin/alternatives showed up
for the first time.

> *** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
> *** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
> *** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
> *** ERROR: MAILER(local) already included
> *** ERROR: MAILER(smtp) already included
>                                                            [  OK  ]
>          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>          MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>
> The next and consecutive times I re-ran it, this error went away.

It smells like corresponding config files were not yet rebuilt
the first time but later were present.

   Michal