New sendmail and missing /usr/lib/sendmail

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 27 18:39:47 UTC 2006

Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 23:48 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Ah, now we get down to the nitty gritty of the desire to hasten
>>the process of going from a Test state to a Release state. Hopefully,
>>those who in past have seen no need to maintain a policy of "no package
>>can move from Test state to Release state unless it has actually gone
>>through test to prove proper operation" and want to change to one of
>>"if enough time has lapsed, then even if no verification of proper
>>operation has taken place, we need to move from Test state to Release
>>state" can see a little bit of the other side of the fence, now.
>

> Curiously, sendmail actually DID get test votes for all platforms before
> it got moved to official updates. No part of the QA process was
> hastened.

Yes, I saw that. But I worded my statement very carefully. I carefully
used the wording "test to prove proper operation", not "normal test
procedures". Looking back on it, I should not have used the word
"maintain" in the exact context, since combining it with the word
"change" has caused you to infer that I consider that current test
procedure is one which verifies proper operation. I did not mean
to imply that.

> This has happened before. Most packages that got pushed out that had
> serious problems had been through QA and had people test them. One of
> the php updates is an example I know of.
>
> Marc.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.