Sendmail Patch Breaks Virtusertable Settings

Ralph Bearpark rbearpark.nospam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 22:03:09 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
> It indeed uses /etc/mail/Makefile to rebuild maps.
>
> The first thing I do after an upgrade is to edit the Makefile to remove the
> at-signs on the front of the commands so that I can see what gets made. If
> there's interest in making this edit in the package, I can file a bugzilla
> and supply a patch.

I guess the relevant lines in  /etc/mail/Makefile are:

%.db: %
        @makemap hash $@ < $<

which I'm guessing means it tries to do a:
        makemap hash virtusertable < virtusertable

which would perhaps explain the screw-up I experienced since MY
virtusertable sources are in virtusertable.txt rather than
virtusertable.  i.e. I perform
        makemap hash virtusertable < virtusertable.txt

However, I see there is a empty virtusertable file there (dates
23-Mar, now what does that mean?) and if the upgrade ran that makefile
to generate virtusertable.db with the wrong virtusertable source, that
certainly would explain my problems.