Sendmail Patch Breaks Virtusertable Settings

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Mar 29 20:10:15 UTC 2006

On Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:38 AM +0200 Ralph Bearpark
<rbearpark.nospam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, that might be a clue for me.  When I put in a new alias, I
> manually "makemap hash virtusertable < virtusertable.txt".  If the
> sendmail upgrade runs a Makefile to do its own virtusertable.db
> rebuild then it's possible it uses other sources, or "makemap dbm"
> instead of "makemap hash".  That could explain the screw-up.

It indeed uses /etc/mail/Makefile to rebuild maps.

The first thing I do after an upgrade is to edit the Makefile to remove the
at-signs on the front of the commands so that I can see what gets made. If
there's interest in making this edit in the package, I can file a bugzilla
and supply a patch.