lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 24 14:33:16 UTC 2006

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 10/20/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:36:15AM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> > The problem is that we are just beat. Jesse has a kid, a release
>> > cycle, a new knee, and a lot of other stuff on his real job. The other
>> > people who have been doing stuff have also had 'stuff happen', and
>> > temporary schedule changes that have become permanent.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> In order to survive the project needs some real support from Red Hat. (Or
>> some other large company who wants to do Red Hat a favor, but that seems
>> even less likely.)
>>

>> Using the "Chasm" marketing model [*], without Legacy, Fedora is only a
>> viable solution for Early Adopters and of dubious value to the second
>> "Pragmatist" group. However, Fedora has been enough of a success that
>> many
>> Pragmatists are indeed using Fedora.
>>

> I would argue that the pragmatists had been using it out of a trust
> model. They had used Red Hat Linux when it has crossed the chasm, and

I don't believe that Linux in general has crossed the chasm yet. I think
it's *all* still in the "early adopters" stage. But within the "Linux
community" (oxymoron) FC is the early adopters of the early adopters.

[snip]

> 2) I use Fedora to alpha/beta test for the next/current Red Hat Enterprise.

How come when I state that FC is beta test, I get dog-piled, but
you don't?

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.