lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 21:52:26 UTC 2006

On 10/24/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> In order to survive the project needs some real support from Red Hat. (Or
> >> some other large company who wants to do Red Hat a favor, but that seems
> >> even less likely.)
> >>

> >> Using the "Chasm" marketing model [*], without Legacy, Fedora is only a
> >> viable solution for Early Adopters and of dubious value to the second
> >> "Pragmatist" group. However, Fedora has been enough of a success that
> >> many
> >> Pragmatists are indeed using Fedora.
> >>

> > I would argue that the pragmatists had been using it out of a trust
> > model. They had used Red Hat Linux when it has crossed the chasm, and
>
> I don't believe that Linux in general has crossed the chasm yet. I think
> it's *all* still in the "early adopters" stage. But within the "Linux
> community" (oxymoron) FC is the early adopters of the early adopters.

That would put you in the conservative column then. So far at the 3
10,000+ person companies I have worked at for the last 5 years, we
have replaced 90% of our Solaris, AIX, mainframes etc with Linux. From
what I have been helping with at other sites this has been the trend
in the last 4 years. One site a friend works at just bought 5000 sun
boxes. Although they each have a Solaris license, none of them will be
using Solaris.. its just that the AMD hardware was considered better
to run the clusters on.

> [snip]
>
> > 2) I use Fedora to alpha/beta test for the next/current Red Hat Enterprise.
>
> How come when I state that FC is beta test, I get dog-piled, but
> you don't?

Because I said I used Fedora as a beta test.. not that Fedora is a
beta test. The two are not equal statements. Red Hat may not use it as
such, but I as a consumer do.