Migrating from RH9 Legacy to CentOS 3

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 24 15:33:18 UTC 2006

Quoting David Eisner <cradle at umd.edu>:

> With the end of Legacy support for RH9, I'd like to migrate my Fedora
> Legacified RH9 box to Centos 3.

Sounds reasonable.

> I've used these directions in the past to successfully migrate from
> non-legacy RH9 to Centos 3.1 using yum:
>
>   http://www.owlriver.com/tips/centos-31-ex-rhl-9/
>
> Any thoughts on whether this should also work with the .legacy packages?

Should work fine.  Sometimes you will find a dependency issue to work
around.  Often that means removing the old package.  Sometimes it might
mean changing yum's "exactarch=1" to "exactarch=0" to get around a
dependency issue caused by architecture changes (from i386 to noarch
or vise-versa, or from 32 bit to 64 bit, etc).

Generally it runs smoothly, but occassionally some thought must be put
into resolving some dependency issue...

One thing I don't see mentioned much.  First, do a "yum update" or
"yum upgrade" on the RHL 9 repo.  Then do a "yum clean" to free
up disk space.  Then do your yum upgrade to Centos.  Otherwise, you
will have your old RHL yum cache taking up a lot of space...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!