Migrating from RH9 Legacy to CentOS 3

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at xenodochy.org
Wed Oct 25 04:56:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:33:18 -0400, Eric Rostetter
<rostetter at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Quoting David Eisner <cradle at umd.edu>:
>
>> With the end of Legacy support for RH9, I'd like to migrate my Fedora
>> Legacified RH9 box to Centos 3.
>
> Sounds reasonable.
>
>> I've used these directions in the past to successfully migrate from
>> non-legacy RH9 to Centos 3.1 using yum:
>>
>>   http://www.owlriver.com/tips/centos-31-ex-rhl-9/
>>
>> Any thoughts on whether this should also work with the .legacy packages?
>
> Should work fine.  Sometimes you will find a dependency issue to work
> around.  Often that means removing the old package.  Sometimes it might
> mean changing yum's "exactarch=1" to "exactarch=0" to get around a
> dependency issue caused by architecture changes (from i386 to noarch
> or vise-versa, or from 32 bit to 64 bit, etc).
>
> Generally it runs smoothly, but occassionally some thought must be put
> into resolving some dependency issue...
>
> One thing I don't see mentioned much.  First, do a "yum update" or
> "yum upgrade" on the RHL 9 repo.  Then do a "yum clean" to free
> up disk space.  Then do your yum upgrade to Centos.  Otherwise, you
> will have your old RHL yum cache taking up a lot of space...
>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -David

I'm still using RedHat 9 and up2date.
What would I have to do to upgrade to a fedora version?

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
page first!)
Plain text markup: *bold*, /italic/, _underline_, LOUD
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/quotes/santayana.html