yum.log and logwatch

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) nils at lemonbit.nl
Tue Sep 12 07:54:02 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I was looking through a logwatch e-mail from one of my FC3 servers
and noticed the yum section said it updated e2fsprogs and tzdata
yesterday. I was certain I didn't run yum yesterday and this server
is not updated automatically. I grepped /var/log/yum.log for these
packages and sure enough I found entries for these packages, but not
at the bottom of the file. Apparently the entries in yum.log do not
contain years in their dates, so logwatch doesn't know these updates
were installed a year ago instead of now. Is this something I should
report or has this been fixed in more recent yum versions? I realize
FC3 is only getting security updates these days and I guess this is
not really a security issue (although for a short moment I thought
someone must have had unauthorized access to my box).

Nils Breunese.