[Fedora-legal-list] How to note 'GPLv3 with options taken'?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Aug 29 12:22:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 22:03 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I perhaps should have been more clear.  A number of the licences
> impose
> particular (but resaonable, so GPLv3 compatible) restrictions
> requiring
> their particular notice be reproduced in various places.  Complying
> with
> them is easy - I'll be including an aggregated list of these licences
> in
> a text file marked as %doc.

Without seeing the specifics, this seems fine. If this is the
advertising clause from old BSD, that's a different story, but nothing
with a University of California copyright should still have that clause.

> > >From a Fedora perspective, any package that add exceptions to the
> GPLv3 should be
> > noted in its license tag with:
> >
> > License: GPLv3 with exceptions
> >
> > or
> >
> > License: GPLv3+ with exceptions
> >
> > ... depending on whether the license attribution states v3 only or
> v3 or later.
>
> I'm presuming for these cases it would be GPLv3+ with permitted
> restrictions?

No, because in any cases where the GPL has been modified, we use "GPLv**
with exceptions" to note that, for consistency. You'd be encouraged to
put a comment in the spec file to elaborate, but not in the tag itself.

Now that I understand this case clearly, in your scenario, the Fedora
license tag would just be GPLv3+. If you wished to say:

License: GPLv3+ and BSD

That would also be correct and permissible.

~spot