[Fedora-legal-list] How to note 'GPLv3 with options taken'?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 29 12:03:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 07:45 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 11:56 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > The GPLv3 allows certain options to be taken, so that it becomes
> > compatible with a number of other licences, such as BSD varients.
> >
> > Samba4 includes a number of pieces of such code in the form of Heimdal
> > (a Kerberos implementation we currently have bundled), do I have to do
> > make some special note (other than complying with the restrictions, by
> > including copyright notices in the docs)?
>
> IANAL, and this should not be construed as legal advice. That disclaimer
> out of the way, here's my opinion.
>
> As far as the code is concerned, you should note that there are
> exceptions in the header attribution, something like:
>
>     This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
>     it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>     the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
>     (at your option) any later version. As permitted by Section 10, the additional
>     exception permissions have been granted:

I perhaps should have been more clear.  A number of the licences impose
particular (but resaonable, so GPLv3 compatible) restrictions requiring
their particular notice be reproduced in various places.  Complying with
them is easy - I'll be including an aggregated list of these licences in
a text file marked as %doc.

> >From a Fedora perspective, any package that add exceptions to the GPLv3 should be
> noted in its license tag with:
>
> License: GPLv3 with exceptions
>
> or
>
> License: GPLv3+ with exceptions
>
> ... depending on whether the license attribution states v3 only or v3 or later.

I'm presuming for these cases it would be GPLv3+ with permitted
restrictions?

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett