[Fedora-legal-list] Fedora content downstream at Wikipedia

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Dec 14 07:28:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> But there is an additional clause in contributing content to
> Wikipedia, that it be contributed under the GFDL:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyright#Contributors.27_rights_and_obligations
>
>  If you contribute text directly to Wikipedia, you thereby license it
>  to the public for reuse under CC-BY-SA and GFDL (unversioned, with
>  no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts).

"If you want to import text that you have found elsewhere or that you
have co-authored with others, you can only do so if it is available
under terms that are compatible with the CC-BY-SA license. ***You do
not need to ensure or guarantee that the imported text is available
under the GNU Free Documentation License, unless you are its sole
author.***"

***emphasis mine

That's the second paragraph of your own link... given that the content
is already CC-BY-SA, it should just be importable straight into
wikipedia (doesn't need to be GFDL), unless I'm missing something?

Or to put it more clearly:
* it is my understanding that all content in the fedora wiki is CC-BY-SA
* it is my understanding that wikipedia can accept all CC-BY-SA
content. (GFDL is no longer required.)

therefore:
* it is my understanding that all content in the fedora wiki can be
exported over to wikipedia.

Quite possibly I'm wrong on all of these; it is late and I am tired :)

Luis