please use BitTorrent

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Nov 6 07:37:46 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 15:55, Peter Eddy wrote:

> In any case, I'm not convinced about bittorrent in general.  With it I
> was averaging 60 kB/s download speed, now with regular 'ol ftp I'm
> getting 500 kB/s (from duke.) I really like the idea of bittorrent,
> especially helping out with bandwidth, but when I have to choose between
> 15 hour downloads (bittorrent's estimate) and 30 minutes (ncftp's
> estimate), there's not much to ponder.

You probably started too early (when not enough people were on BT) and
didn't wait enough (BT picks up speed rather slowly).

See my Yarrow BT downloads in the attached file - the first peak is the
binary ISOs, the second one is the sources.
The plateau is the bandwidth cap enforced by my ISP.

Probably anyone doing BT right now has tremenduous speed.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/