yum dependency loop exceeded

bdunne bdunne at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 29 23:50:58 UTC 2003

mgriffis wrote:
>I am getting an "identical dependency loop exceeded" error while trying
>to install totem/xine/mplayer.

Have you added the fedora.us repository to your yum.conf?  I saw three
repositories on your yum output:

>Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
>Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
>Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates

I'm assuming the middle one is livna.org.  You need to add the fedora.us
repository (that's where the missing packages are).  That's why livna.org has
the warning: "RPM.Livna.org is not a standalone repository. You must use
rpm.livna.org with Fedora.us repository" in a big red box at the top of the
webpage. ;-)

Here's the setup for yum.conf:

[fedora-us-1-stable]
name=Fedora Linux (stable) for Fedora Core 1 -- Fedora US mirror
baseurl=http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/stabl

and for rhn's sources file:

yum fedora-us-1-stable
http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/stable

Cheers,
Bryan

Bryan C Dunne
E-Mail: bdunne at uiuc.edu
WWW: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~bdunne/

"What fun is it being 'cool' if you can't wear a sombrero?"