vpnclient and host lookups

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Aug 6 02:55:48 UTC 2004

--On Tuesday, July 27, 2004 3:25 PM -0400 Edward Croft
<ecroft at OPENRATINGS.com> wrote:

> I did note that a host lookup using host -T does work, however standard
> DNS lookups, like when using the browser, fail. My guess is that for
> some reason the Cisco client does not pass UDP packets. I am guessing
> here. Has anyone found a solution/workaround? Is there a way to default
> DNS lookups to use TCP packets instead?

Don't know about that, but I just got the open source vpnc working, which
doesn't steal my DNS setup. My LAN can use the connection using a
MASQUERADE rule in iptables to the tun1 device, and all my DNS queries
continue to go out the Internet connection instead of getting diverted to
the VPN peer.