vpnclient and host lookups

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 6 03:00:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 22:55, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> Don't know about that, but I just got the open source vpnc working, which
> doesn't steal my DNS setup. My LAN can use the connection using a
> MASQUERADE rule in iptables to the tun1 device, and all my DNS queries
> continue to go out the Internet connection instead of getting diverted to
> the VPN peer.

Which works well until you need to reference your company intranets DNS
servers for access to certain systems.  I have yet to hear of a VPN
solution that lets you query both external and internal DNS servers.

I guess it might be theoretically possible if the VPN client looks at
the domain on the request, but I have not seen one that does this.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

If you want to get rich from writing, write the sort of thing that's
read by persons who move their lips when the're reading to themselves.
		-- Don Marquis