Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Mon Aug 30 13:34:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:26:00 -0500, Don Maxwell wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:04:23 +0800 (HKT), HaJo Schatz wrote:
>
>> Marc Williams said:

> Slow browsing of the MSFT Network Neighborhood via Nautilus was observed
> a few weeks ago, at least by me and some others.  The situation
> corrected for me with a kernel upgrade.  I would launch "Network
> Servers" from the Gnome app menu and the thing would wait quite a long
> time (in hours!) until the "Windows Network" would appear.  However, the
> problem is now corrected and I am using kernel 2.6.8-1.521.

In my case, I don't believe that's the problem because 1) both Linux
machines (Samba server and client) are running the latest stable kernels
and 2) the appearance of "Windows Network" was never delayed for me.  It
is only the subsequent workgroup and server that takes the long
time to appear that I first described.

And I think I answered my own question #3 from my first post - I
finally got a hold of a Windows 98 machine and it also takes just as long
for the Samba workgroup to appear as it does with Nautilus.  So clearly
their is something amiss on the Samba server itself and not on the Windows
or Linux clients.