Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 13:49:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 08:26, Don Maxwell wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:04:23 +0800 (HKT), HaJo Schatz wrote:
>
> > Marc Williams said:

> > That does sound somewhat familiar, I think to remember that I had &
> > resolved the issue once. I'm unfortunately away from my Samba machine, Ie
> > can't check right now. Does "broadcast" ring a bell?
>
> Slow browsing of the MSFT Network Neighborhood via Nautilus was
> observed a few weeks ago, at least by me and some others.  The
> situation corrected for me with a kernel upgrade.  I would launch
> "Network Servers" from the Gnome app menu and the thing would wait
> quite a long time (in hours!) until the "Windows Network" would
> appear.  However, the problem is now corrected and I am using kernel
> 2.6.8-1.521.

Now this is just getting frustrating.  Every single FC2 system I have
has been unable to browse the network using Nautilus.  Have had no
problems using FC1.

When I launch "Network Servers" I get a Windows Network icon after a few
seconds.  When I select that icon I get a window but nothing is listed.
I expect to see a list of all the servers on the network.

Have waited almost an hour now and nothing new has shown up on the one
system in nautilus.

Would you mind sharing relevant portions of your smb.conf?  Or is there
another config file for nautilus that needs to be setup for this to
work?

Other methods can be used to access samba type shares from FC2 boxes.
(smbclient, fstab)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com