Any recommendations Shuttle or Biostar SFF and FC2?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 1 02:25:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 19:02, Jesus M. Rodriguez wrote:
> I'm looking at buying a Shuttle or Biostar SFF machine and putting FC2
> on it as a file server.  I'm looking at one of the older ones that has
> can use an AMD Athlon or a P4 either one.
>
> I want one with on board video since it is a server I won't be needing
> 3D and such.  But the cheap XPC and iDEQ have graphics I've never heard
> of such as: S3 Savage8, SiS315, and VIA Unichrome.  The ones with
> Geforce4 MX is about $250.  The others start at $166.
>
> Currently, my server is an IBM PC300GL with a Pentium II 450, 100GB IDE,
> 384MB memory, and a 3Com ISA nic.  It's big and bulky.  So the thought
> of a SFF machine to replace this would make it a nicer machine.  And if
> the server turns out nice and works well with FC2, then I might get
> another one for my desktop which is an aging PIII 650.
>
> So if anyone has any experience with FC2 and any SFF machine please
> either post to the list or send me email privately, I'd be happy to
> report what I find back to the list and definitely on my blog at:
> http://www.jroller.com/page/jmrodri
----
I am using several actually...

SN41G - RH 8 (server)
SN41G - FC-1 (workstation)
E-Cube EG65 - FC-2 (workstation)

Problem with SN41G is the S3 video which doesn't work out of box with
FC-1 or RH 8. Perhaps it does with FC-2, I haven't checked. Had to patch
with Thomas Wischenhoefer's S3 driver each time XFree86 updates. (not a
deal killer but an extra chore).

The E-Cube worked immediately out of the box, networking, video, sound
on FC-2

top - 19:21:18 up 16 days, 22:48,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.04,
0.08
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  5.1% us,  0.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 94.6% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
0.0% si
Mem:   1021012k total,  1013476k used,     7536k free,    44868k buffers
Swap:  2040244k total,     4532k used,  2035712k free,   579344k cached

hope this helps (I was gonna post the dmesg but that's a bit much)

Craig