[akonstam: CD writing mystery.]

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sun Aug 1 15:25:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 14:36, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> The Nautilus based CD burning system  does not work for
> me. In thinking about it I decided the problem might be that my new
> CDRW devices are 52X but the CD-R disks are rated to write at up to
> 48X. Could it be that the problems is that interface (unlike xcdroast)
> does not allow you to adjust the writing speed? What do you think of that
> problem or do you have another suggested solution? For example the
> Nautilus CD burning window is really a gui for cdrecord. Is tweaking the
> config file for cdrecord maybe the answer?

Do you have a copy of Windows on that same machine? The only reason I
ask is that it might be worth investigating whether the problem is to do
with your drive simply "not liking" your media. I had a problem once
burning some CDs under Linux which I thought was software based -- I
spent ages trying to track it down. Then, out of curiousity, I rebooted
into Windows and tried to burn the CD and it still failed. I then tried
the discs in another machine with a different brand drive and it worked
fine. So then I thought that there must be something wrong with the
CD-RW drive in my machine, but when I tried a different brand of discs
everything worked again. It seems that some drives simply don't like
certain brands of discs -- now, before I buy and blank CDs in bulk I
always try and buy just one first to check it's compatible with my
drive.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com