pcnet_cs device eth0 does not seem to be present

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Aug 4 14:31:21 UTC 2004

Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

> I have commented out the pcnet_cs entry in /etc/modprobe.conf and I've
> done everything you told me to (include reboot). But when I did the
> "rmmod pcnet_cs" step, an error message came out "ERROR: Module
> pcnet_cs is in use".
>
> What could possiblly be worng?

We could get into troubleshooting that, checking that the interface has
been brought fully down, checking lsmod for dependent modules, etc.  But
the simplest thing to try is rebooting.  If it works upon reboot then
the original problem and your consequential problem above are both avoided.

I concur with another poster that one way or another this is a bug.  But
the tough question to be solved in order to remedy it is the status of
hotpluggable interfaces.  For instance what is the meaning of ONBOOT
when the interface is hotpluggable?