Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 02:58:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 22:27, Marc Williams wrote:
> I'm testing out a machine that will become a file/print server for a few
> Windows machines.  It's a fully updated FC2 smp machine running the FC2
> samba rpms. I set it up using the quick install guide I found on the
> Samba site.
>
> It works, sort of.  The only client machine I have to test with at the
> moment is another Linux machine running Nautilus to connect with the
> Samba server.  After I reboot the server or restart the smb service, it
> takes about 5-10 minutes for the server to show up in the client
> Nautilus browser and another 15 minutes or so for the Samba shares to
> appear.  After that the connection works fine.  I didn't put a stopwatch
> to this so I could be off on these times.  But it takes awhile.
>
> So my questions are
> 1) is this length of time to browse Samba shares normal?
> 2) can I do anything to significantly shorten this time?
> 3) can I expect similar performance with Windows clients?
>
> Thank you!

I don't think I have any answers but I need to ask, how are you
connecting to the other server?  Are you using the Network Servers item
in the main menu?

I can connect to samba shares and access the files on them with
reasonable speed.  But I have not been able to get nautilus on FC2 to
see other systems on the network.  I can connect using smbclient or
setup things up in fstab.  But nautilus is unable to see other systems.
On FC1 this works just fine.

>From what you have reported maybe I am just not waiting long enough.
Will have to try that.

--