Failed disk in Raid

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 27 14:47:50 UTC 2004

Michael J. Pawlowsky wrote:
> On one my home machines I run Software RAID 0 ever since I had set it up
> for a client of mine.
> I figured it is good insurance.
>
> Well it looks like last night it paid off.
> I received a disk failed event.
> My primary / partition has a block that is not writeable on /dev/hda
>
> If this was a customer's machine I would say trash the disk and put in a
> new one.
> Not worth the $ for the trouble it could cause.
>
> But since this is my home machine, and my $ are a bit more precious to
> me, I was thinking of removing all the partitions from the raid and
> trying to fix it using chkdisk and then adding it back into the raid.
>
> What do you think?
>

> Mike

I don't think that chkdsk would do you any good for marking off the bad
sector for use in a linux system. Also, the one bad block usually is a
warning that the whole disk is on the way to total failure.

On computers that I had a totally corrupted filesystem and thought
reinstalling the OS (M$ on these computers) the bad blocks did not show
on the reformatted system. The disk did fail again within 6 months, so
replacing the disk is probably you safest option.

If the disks that are failing are IBM/Hitachi I'd certainly get rid of
the disks. Other vendors might not be as high of a risk.

Just my opinion. No technical research on my part.

Jim
--
A consultant is a person who borrows your watch, tells you what time it
is, pockets the watch, and sends you a bill for it.