Flash disk

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Jan 2 06:55:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Margo wrote:

> THank you. Entered the command and then it got weird. Flash disk
> blinked steadily for a few minutes ( I assume formatting) at the end
> tried to mounbt the disk and got the SAME ERROR.
>
> Put the disk back in Windows and there were still files on it. It had
> not been formatted.
>
> I think I'll just leave it for now, thank you everyone for your help.

But my point really was if it is formatted vfat it should work.

FWIW
(tigger pts10) # mount
/dev/flash on /mnt/flash type vfat (rw,0)
(tigger pts10) #

(tigger pts10) # grep flash /etc/fstab
/dev/flash              /mnt/flash              vfat,noauto,noatime,suid=0 0 0
(tigger pts10) #

If you do something like:
devlabel add -d /dev/sda1 -s /dev/flash --automount
it will create the link from /dev/sda1 to /mnt/flash automagically.

You do have the hotplug package installed don't you??

HTH,