Injecting keystrokes into X from user apps

Simon at the Threshold dweller at the-threshold.org
Thu Jan 8 13:06:53 UTC 2004

Andy Green wrote:

> Is this true, Fedora's X does not have the Xtrap stuff?  Why distribute the
> xtrap apps if that is the case?  And why do I see...

<Yurgh>

This is because DEC-XTRAP is a depricated entension in the X11 server,
its recommended that RECORD and XTEST be used instead. Still its pretty
naff that the old clients are still availible under Fedora.

<From the xtrapchar manpage>
IMPORTANT NOTE
Digital participated in the X Consortium’s xtest  working  group  which
chose  to  evolve  XTrap  functionality into a new extension for X11/R6
known as the RECORD extension (XTrap input synthesis  functionality  is
currently  covered  by  the XTEST extension).  It is strongly suggested
that users of XTrap technology begin developing against RECORD/XTEST as
it  is  the intention of the X Consortium to drive these two extensions
in the standards process for providing the protocol capturing/synthesis
functionality.   Some  members  of the xtest working group are actively
researching migration issues between XTrap and RECORD.  If  you’d  like
to contribute, please participate!  Contact your local X Consortium Rep
for details on how to be added to the xtest mailing list.

If you encounter problems, have questions, etc. with XTrap, please con-
tact via mail, phone, etc. at:

Ken Miller      miller at zk3.dec.com      (VOICE) 603-881-6221
                (FAX)   603 881-2257