Kernel 2.6.x IDE Disks (Sata) - /dev/hdcXY .. orrr /dev/sdaXY !?!

Joerg Battermann jb at justbe.com
Sun Jan 11 04:15:21 UTC 2004

hello there :)

I am having a little difficulty getting the 2.6.0 kernel actually working
on rh 9.0 (from <http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/RPMS.kernel/>) but I
didn't know where else to ask :\

however... the real problem is, I dunno what to use in the lilo.conf... for
my partitions :\ with the 2.4.20 kernel it is/was /dev/hdcX .... booting
the fedora disc for the rescue mod... it says /dev/sdaX ... but what do I
use? none of both really worked :| what's with this
/dev/ide/bus0/..../partX something?

what should I use for a 2.6.x based kernel on a sata/ich5 based board?

sincerely,
-Joerg Battermann
http://www.justBE.com