Configuring NETBIOS/Samba

Tom Taylor fedora at tomtaylor.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 12:59:04 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm using Fedora Core 1, dual booted with Windows XP, on a small house
network (5-6 PCs). The router, a Linksys 4 port is managing DHCP, and
we're all on Class C.

I'm trying to get Fedora to share folders with the Windows machines, as
well as just interact via hostnames. If I type 'ping windowsbox', it
cannot find the IP in Fedora, whereas it will find it easily in XP.
Presumably this is due to some sort of NETBIOS DNS lookup.

I have configured the workgroup in Samba, and the hostname of the
machine is 'tom'.

So, what do I need to configure to allow my fedora box to see my windows
machines through DNS? I should also mention that they change IPs
regularly, so keeping the whole network static and using /etc/hosts is
not an option.

I've tried the ol' Google, but to no avail. Maybe I was searching for
the wrong thing.

Thanks!

--
Tom Taylor