nondestructive partition manager

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Thu Jan 8 16:41:08 UTC 2004

|On January 7, 2004 11:29 pm, David L Norris wrote:
|> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 11:14, Trevor Smith wrote:
|> > They differ? Screw it, I think I'll just wipe FC1, use Partition
Magic to
|> > resize my Windows partitions and reinstall Linux.
|>
|> Why wipe Fedora?  If you have Partition Magic it will resize EXT2/3
|> formatted partitions just as well as FAT and NTFS.
|
|I have Partition Magic 6 and it will not resize ext2/3. Maybe it's
supposed
|to, but it does not do so on my system.
|
|Hmm... Of course, whenever I use Partition Magic, I have to boot to DOS
and
|run it since Windows locks all my windows partitions. I wonder if the
*Win2k*
|version I have will work with the ext3 partitions, where the DOS version
|always must use does not...
|
|> As of PQMagic 4.0 they even provide a floppy disk version for
Linux-only

|I have no CD. I bought the electronic delivery option.

I have used Partition Magic 8.01 to successfully extend, shrink, move,
create and delete NTFS 5.0 (Win 2k) and ext3 (Fedora) partitions - both
empty and loaded - on a few dual-boot systems.

The beast works wonderfully. Sometimes however, when the initial
partitioning was done by some other tool, it denounces some cryptical
error condition and refuses to work at all.

Best policy to follow is always start partitioning your brand-new HDs with
PM, and keep on using it for all further partition massaging on them.

JM2CW.

Cheers

Thiers