Backup program?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 9 00:05:14 UTC 2004

Alex Olivas wrote:
> Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>
>> I am new to Red Hat/Fedora and am looking for a backup/restore program
>> for
>> Linux which will work with my Sony SDT-9000 DDS Tape Drive. I can't
>> find it
>> among the packages on either Red Hat or Fedora. I wonder if such a
>> program at
>> all exits for the Linux platform.
>>
>> I would appreciate very much if perhaps someone on this list could
>> explain
>> where to find that sort of programs.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Erik P. Olsen
>>
>> Regards,
>> Erik P. Olsen
>>

> i can' really comment on quality or even whether it will work with a
> tape drive.  i would assume that
> would be a system issue.  if you can mount it it should work just fine.
> in any case i have been meaning
> to try out rdfiff-backup.  you can find it at
> http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/.
> it looks very promising to me, but again i haven't tried it, but it's
> probably worth taking a look at and maybe
> even posting the same question to its mailing list.

Fedora comes with Amanda.  I use it to back up to an ancient DAT
drive and I've used it on DLT drives.  "man amanda" will give you
the details (assuming you installed the amanda RPMs).
-   Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the   -
-                     reader...who doesn't get it.                   -