up2date vs. yum

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 9 22:44:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:21:55AM +0700, Andrey Subbotin wrote:

> I've got another stupid question about updates in FC1: what's the
> difference between up2date amd yum? And, then, if there's none except
> the GUI of up2date, does up2date look at /etc/yum.conf or should I
> actually put everything about repositories into
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources?

They are two separate programs:
	yum looks at /etc/yum.conf
	up2date looks at /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

It turns out that up2date understands the protocol that yum uses.  It
can use yum repositories.  The config line format is a little
different.

So far I have found that the up2date GUI hides a number of errors that
it cannot recover from yet.  They share a lot of python source code so
eventually there will be no difference of value between the two in
terms of reliability.

BOTH need a better list of mirrors as comments in the distribution.
Perhaps a 'get_mirror_list' option or some other mirror discovery
strategy.  Fedora is a community project but up2date/yum do not
leverage the bandwidth of the community yet.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net