Thoughts on FC and the future..

John Rowan rowan at rownetco.com
Mon Jan 12 15:16:22 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:

> Patrick W. Fraley wrote:
>
>> Hey on your Listing your forgot one major option:
>>
>> 5) Switch to another distribution ;)
>>
> This is also a problem..
>
> Suse don't distribute ISO's which is frikken irritating when testing
> and breaking, the enterprise versions are more expensive than RHEL..
> In fact its almost cheaper to buy MS products for web servers and the
> like bacasue it would probably be cheaper then RHEL or Suse
> enterprise.. Although out of pricipal I will not use any MS products
> but many would..
>
> Mandrake is just not cutting it IMO.. especially as a server..
>
> Debian is outdated and a nightmare to install..
>
> Slackware and Gentoo are to difficult to effectively maintain for most
> of us since they are based on source packages..
>
> Which really just leaves the smaller distros the best of which looks
> to be Trustix, which I am currently playing with for my new system..
>
> Later..

I sat through a presentation with Novell and IBM back in November where I tabled the issue of SuSE not having ISOs available.  They said that they would be making ISOs available in the future but wouldn't say when.  I guess we have to wait for the Novell acquisition of SuSE to complete before I ask them again.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between SuSE Linux Professional 9.0 and SuSE or Red Hat Enterprise versions?  I built a server with FC1 when it was released but changed to SuSE because of initial problems with FC1.  SuSE Pro 9 cost $ 90 at the local Best Buy and included 5 CDs and a dual sided DVD.