Newbee question: Telnet doesn't work with Fedora core 1

prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 12 22:23:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 05:08:07PM -0500, Dennis McCracken penned with great insight:
> When I try to telnet into the system from my NT box I get rejected.  This
> feels like a security issue but I've tried several tools provided as part of
> Fedora and I've gotten nowhere after two hours of searching for an answer.
> I'm sure someone here knows the answer.  It's probably some default setting
> that needs to be changed.

You may not have turned on port 23/allowed telnet access through in iptables. lokkit will allow you to change this. Also, telnet I believe runs off of xinetd and as such, you may want to go into /etc/xinetd.d/ and edit the telnet service to no longer be disabled. By default I believe it is disabled.

The line change you're lookin' for in that file will be disable = yes. Make that yes a "no" and you're good. Without quotes of course.

Don't forget after making your changes to restart iptables and restart xinetd. This should solve your problem, so long as you have the telnet server installed.

Alex

--
If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are. --Spoken in Zen