kernel doesn't compile?

Wed Jan 21 17:02:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 10:46, Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
> Installed kernel-sources from rpm. Make xconfig as usual, then make dep
> and make bzImage. When i try, however, to make modules, it doesn't
> compile. A few error messages that do not mean much to me unfortunately.
>
> I can post error messages if needed, but now i wonder if everyboy out
> here could compile kernel from sources rpm fetched from fedora mirrors.
>
> E.

Which kernel version?  Have managed to compile new kernels from Fedora
rpms in various repositories, but don't know which one is giving you
heartburn.

Did you "make mrproper" first?  That often helps.

Did you start with a config file for your arch from the configs
directory or from scratch?

Try "make oldconfig" after "make xconfig" - may identify problems and
let you fix them.  Rerun "make oldconfig" until it stops complaining.

I use this script "make_linux" (in my /root/bin/) run from the
kernel-source directory:
#!/bin/bash
# Kernel build steps:
#   1. Unpack the sources
#   2. make clean; make mrproper
#   3. Optional - You can copy the .config file from your old linux
#	kernel source tree to new kernel tree (may save time, if you
#	want to reuse the old settings).
#   4. make xconfig  #(optionally "make oldconfig" to check)
#   5. make dep
#   6. make
#   7. make bzImage
#   8. make modules
#   9. make modules_install
#  10. make install
#  11. configure LILO or GRUB.
#  12. Optional - make clean (If you want to free up disk space)
# This script implements steps 5-10

(make -j 3 dep && make -j 3 && make -j 3 bzImage && make -j 3 modules &&
make modules_install && make install) >& /tmp/MakeKernel.log

Phil