Radeon 7500 and AOC 17Klr monitor *almost* works...

Curtis Rempel curtis at telus.net
Wed Jan 28 02:07:09 UTC 2004

I've got a dual boot system with a Radeon 7500 and AOC 17Klr monitor
which works fine under XP.  When I dual boot to Fedora (or even during
the Fedora install process), the screen is very washed out, almost as if
the brightness was too high and the contrast too low.  Booting back to
Windows without touching the monitor controls gives a great picture
however.

I installed Fedora using an IBM 2237 monitor and the picture was great
during install and subsequent boot.  Fedora does not know about the AOC
7Klr so I found the refresh rate settings on the AOC web site and
plugged them into MonitorsDB so I could select the monitor using
redhat-config-xfree86 - didn't change a thing, still all washed out.

Given that the IBM monitor works fine, I doubt that the Radeon 7500 is
the culprit.  That leaves the AOC 7Klr - however it works fine under
Windows.

Has anybody seen this sort of behavior?  It's almost barely usable if I
play with the monitor brightness/contrast (but still quite annoying).
Of course, when I reboot to XP, I have to fiddle with the controls again
to get the picture looking ok again.

Any suggestions are welcome.  I've done a ton of Linux installs but this
is the first time I've seen this one.

Thanks,

Curtis