Running FC2 but install FC1 on a second partition, risky??

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 15 01:27:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:36:43AM +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:16:43 +0200, Coume - Lubox.com wrote:
>
> > 1) Can FC1 and FC2 share the same /home without creating problem?
>
> Hmmm, two systems both writing to the same dotfiles - probably not a good
> idea. Have a separate area for "shared" files instead.
>
> 2) What will happen to my /boot when installing FC1? Will it erase it or
> will FC1 add its lines to grub?
>
> Don't use grub in the second install, in fact just skip the whole
> bootloader stuff altogether. Once you're finished installing, reboot to
> the original install and just add the second to the grub.conf.
>
> > 3) Is there anything special to do to make sure everything will go fine?
>
> Sure. Don't overwrite any files :)

If you are running SELinux there is a risk that FC1 will
generate files that do not have security context labels
that you FC2+SELinux expects.  Easy to fix but confusing
to debug.

It is possible to have a policy that does not touch the FC1 files but
that would take some care.  To fix SELinux labels use 'fixfiles' or
make relabel in SELinux policy source.

Good catch Keith, the .files would be critical.  One could have a /homeFC1
and /homeFC2 and use links to share other things.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l