pam_succeed_if: requirement "uid < 100" not met by user

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Jun 22 13:16:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 02:26:41PM +0200, Jacob Garder wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Jacob Garder wrote:
>
> >As I understand it, the message:
> >pam_succeed_if: requirement "uid < 100" not met by user XXXX
> >is not an error, just extra verbose information from PAM, right?
> >
> >How can I set the logging level lower, so I get rid of these messages?
>
> I suppose I could delete the line:
> account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_succeed_if.so uid < 100
>
> in the file /etc/pam.d/system-auth, but what other effects might that
> have? Why is it there in the first place (it was not in RH9)?
>
> /jacob

It is supposed to make root logins possible even if the network
authentication system (NIS,LDAP, ...) is unreachable. That was a serious
problem on FC1 and earlier where an unreachable server or a misconfigured
service could make it impossible even for root to log in.
At least that is what I understood about it.

David Jansen