Re: rsyncing 79gb of data to 250gb drive

I've found the fastest way to copy from one partition to another, preserving symlinks, hard links, special devices, etc is to use dump/restore.

cd <destination> ; dump -0 /dev/<source> -f - | restore -rf -

replace <source> with the device name of the source device (say, hda1) and replace destination with the directory you want to copy to.

Never had a problem doing it this way.

(sorry, didnt read the rest of the thread, but thought I'd toss in my 2c ;)

\n